Orthopedics Community
Carpal Tunnel surgery, complication

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Carpal Tunnel surgery, complication

I had my left hand operated on 5 weeks ago, a carpal tunnel release. I had the right hand done in May and haven't had any problems.
In my left hand, I have no numbness or tingling, and I have full feeling, but my thumb will not extend fully. I can't stretch it out, I guess towards my chest if I were holding my hand in front of me. I have almost full strength to grip, but I can't extend it. I can extend it manually with my other hand, but it moves back towards my hand when I let it go.

Is this a "normal" side effect, or did the surgeon do something wrong? Of course I showed it to him, he kept feeling the muscle area at the base of my thumb and asked if I wanted physical therapy. I asked if it would get better and he said it "likely" would. I don't know if I believe him.

Please help!
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical valuation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms; though the corresponding nerve responsible for the action is unlikely to have been damaged in a carpal tunnel surgery and this is more likely to be a muscular issue. I would suggest trying physiotherapy for a few weeks. If there does not seem to be any improvement in the following weeks, we can go ahead with an MRI/ investigation for a detailed review and depending on the cause identified, this can be managed accordingly.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!