Orthopedics Community
Crushed Foot

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Crushed Foot

i crushed my foot on november of 2008 between a motorized pallet jack and a metal rod while i was driving the pallet jack at work. the doctor said i had some fractures on my foot 1 on the heal 2 on the top of foot and 1 on the left side of my left foot where the ball is.  he just put a cast on it and sent me off. afterwards i did therapy but it was painful and kept swelling up. i told the doctor and he said push through it so i was released to go back to work but the pain and swelling was still there and it would get real red.  doctor took me off work again and more therapy but still same results. we tried RSD but the doctor he sent me to said i didnt have the symptoms.  finally he said he didnt know what else he could do for me and workers comp sent me to another doctor. i kept working through the pain and swelling. it would get real bad that i would limp and wouldnt want to put pressure on it. after a couple of years the doctor said i need a fusion on my foot. so after a my lawyer fought to get surgery done in 2011 i got the fusion. but still after a while of walking/standing/or anything with moving my toes it gets painful. it feels week i cant get on my tippy toes/squat/jump/run or play any sports with my kids really because it hurts. and the doctor says to just push through it but i been doing that for some years now. i did get a 2% impairment rating but thats not what i really want. i mean i wouldnt mine the money cuz my lawyer needs to get paid but ill be happy to just get my foot to almost normal. i cant keep a job cuz it swells and hurts and i limp like crazy. so the question i have is what can i do about this or am i stuck with the pain?         sorry if i wrote to much to get to the question
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to comment on the situation or suggest a management plan. Possibilities that may need to be considered include non-union/ mal-union of fractures, continued inflammation, neuro-muscular/ vascular issues, degeneration, scar formation etc. I would suggest considering a second opinion with another orthopedician, preferably at a university/ teaching hospital for suggestion of an appropriate management plan.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!