Orthopedics Community
Distal Fibula Fx

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Distal Fibula Fx

I broke my distal fibula a little over a year ago, i went in immediatly was put in a splint for three days until i could see a orthopedic doctor. I saw the orthopedic dr and he advised my bone was aligned and that it would require casting for 6 weeks, after the casting he would evaluate for surgery. I returned in 6 weeks and was told the weight of the cast caused my bone to slip out of alignment. He then said he wanted to wait on surgery and put me in a boot to try to "force" it back into place. I was in the boot for another 5 weeks, when i returned he took more xray and said it was "ok" (MIND YOU I DID NOT GET TO SEE THAT SET OF XRAYS) he then put me in a brace and told me wear it for a month and come back. I returned feeling pretty good, He then released me. Now here i am a little over a year later  the past few months..4-5 having increased pain when i walk, my leg and top of my foot continues to swell a little and bruises quiet frequently. No MRI or anything was done no Physical therapy or anything. I can sense the weakness when i walk and some days it is unbearable. What are some of the possibilitys? rebreak? torn ligaments? possible surgery?
Hi!
It is really difficult to assess the current situation without recent X-rays. Please consult your family doctor and get a fresh set of X-rays. This will show whether there was complete union or no-union. If there was complete union and the fracture has oined well, then the pain can be due to deep vein thrombosis (which is common after prolonged immobilization), weak muscles and ligament or due to some injury to these. If any of these is suspected then you may need dopplar studies or MRI. Also, after such prolonged immobilization, it is important to undergo proper and complete physiotherapy. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.