Orthopedics Community
Fractured Femur after ligament repair

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Fractured Femur after ligament repair

I slipped in my kitchen and fractured my femur right along the line where a screw from a previous ligament repair surgery was placed. Did the presence of this screw contribute to how easily my femur fractured? The orthopedic surgeon removed the screw as he said, "It was just hanging down into the joint, so I had to remove it." Is this no longer needed? I previously (2 years ago) dislocated my knee and tore 3 ligaments (all but the MCL). I believe this was partly why I was able to hyperextend my knee which contributed to the fracture. I am "toe touch" weight bearing right now, but I am fearful about my knee being able to support my weight after this fracture heals without it buckling and hyperextending. The doctor said he didn't see any ligament damage, but. since he was being paid to repair the femur fracture, I am not convinced he was really looking...I had a CT scan but no MRI.Now I have a 200 mm titanium rod inside my femur. I am only 51 and will need to work several more years in order to be able to retire!
Hi there!

The presence of the screw would not contribute to the ease of the fracture though the previous injury could and the screw could make it a bit extensive. Doctors do look thoroughly for the presence of other injuries during a surgery and if your doctor believes that the fracture should heal fine without any major side effects, he/ she is likely to be correct. It would be best to discuss the expected prognosis in detail with your treating doctor.
Hope this helps.

Take care!