Orthopedics Community
Full Recovery after Bicepts Tenodesis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Full Recovery after Bicepts Tenodesis

I had biceps tenodesis and cartilage 'clean up'  about 3 1/2 weeks ago. I have been to physical therapy for eight visits.  I feel like I am improving, but when the therapist stretches my arm toward up over my head the pain gets to a point where it is unbearable. (I am lying flat on the table and they move my arm straight up and back over my head.)  The furthest they have been able to stretch the arm is 170 degrees and that was last week.  Today they could only get it to 160 degrees.  They tell me that its a slow process and that I am doing well enough, however today they did make the comment that one might not get full range of motion back.I am concerned that I am not progressing as well as I should.  I want to regain full range of motion.  I have asked for additional home exercises (I have been doing the pulleys) and today they told me I could do the bar with the weight at home -- moving the arm much like he therapist does.)  

I would like to know of others experience with recovery from this process.  I am a mid-50s woman and lead a fairly active lifestyle -- yoga, kayaking, ball throwing for dog, yard work -- at least until the should pain began about a year ago.

I would also like to understand the time frame and perhaps some benchmarks that I should be aiming for.  The thereapist just gives me vague answers.

Thank you.
Hi there!

Well, it would be difficult to comment on the situation since the progress and the prognosis in each case may vary with a few factors such as the primary condition, severity, the exact type of procedure done, confounding factors that could possibly interfere with the progress etc. On an average one may be looking at 80% the expected range in 4-6 weeks and almost 100% in about 8-12 weeks; though the process may be prolonged upto 4-6 months in a few individuals. It would be best to discuss the situation and the progress in detail with your treating orthopedician and physiotherapist.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!