Orthopedics Community
ITB syndrome?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

ITB syndrome?

I've been battling what I've thought has been myalgia in my legs for three months now. I was completely asymptomatic until I tried to carry some things up a flight of stairs. Instant knee pain that took two hours to resolve. Two days later -- last night -- I carried a television up another flight of stairs. Knee pain again, and this time it slowly morphed into the familiar and awful "myalgia" on the side of my thighs -- right where my tensor fasciae lateralis muscles are. This persisted all night, preventing sleep, and slowly resolved back into lateral knee pain when I got up and walked around. The minor knee discomfort is still there now that I'm sitting down.

One hallmark of my symptoms is that they've always been a lot worse when I'm lying down or when my legs are otherwise outstretched. Sitting or bending my knees relieves the discomfort.

So far, I haven't had a diagnosis, but does this sound like ITBS? The "myalgia" might be radiating discomfort instead.
Tags: Knee, tfl, ITB, myalgia
Hello incircles,

Yes, you might be suffering from Iliotibial Band Syndrome (ITBS or Iliotibial Band Friction Syndrome) which is a common thigh injury generally associated with running. Iliotibial Band Syndrome is one of the leading causes of lateral knee pain in runners.
The iliotibial band is a superficial thickening of tissue on the outside of the thigh, extending from the outside of the pelvis, over the hip and knee, and inserting just below the knee. The band is crucial to stabilizing the knee during running, moving from behind the femur to the front during the gait cycle. The continual rubbing of the band over the lateral femoral epicondyle, combined with the repeated flexion and extension of the knee during running may cause the area to become inflamed.
As there is no definite treatment for this condition. I suggest you take ibuprufen or diclofenac to relive the pain and the inflammation.

Refer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliotibial_band_syndrome
Best