Orthopedics Community
Injury to my knuckle (palm side)...any thoughts?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

About 3 weeks ago I fell down the stairs. I was pretty bruised up from head to two and my hand was no exception. I "broke" the fall and thought for a week or so that I had bruised my palm. Now I've noticed that the pain hasn't gone way. I can't grasp things without it hurting, steering my car, etc. I see that the palm, right at the knuckle is swollen and that there is a hard bulge present that is not on my other hand. What could be the cause? Bone fragment? Tendon? Cyst??? I can't imagine it being a cyst as it was the result of a fall. It's odd that there is such a large lump. It's not in my dominant hand so that's a good thing. I'm considering seeing someone but feel a bit foolish cause it's not a huge bother. The flip side to that is that it's not healing and I don't want it to cause joint problems down the road. Considering some Glucosamine and a splint but was curious if anyone had this happen and if I should see a doc and get it x-rayed...

Ms.April