Orthopedics Community
Is my fracture healing?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Is my fracture healing?

I fractured the cuboid bone in my right foot around 3 months ago.  It was only detected on MRI two months ago.  The first MRI said there was marked edema surrounding the cuboid bone.   I just had a second MRI done and this one also says there is moderate marrow edema  with linear hypointensities in the cuboid bone.  What does this mean?  The impression was nondisplaced cuboid fracture, sprain of the inferior extensor retinaculum with subcutaneous edema in the lateral ankle and mild ankle joint effusion.  My question is how do I know that my fracture is healing when after three months there is still so much edema and the fracture still does not show up on xray?  My foot and ankle are still very swollen and discolored.  I just want to know that my fracture is healing as I desperately would like to return to work.  Does this type of fracture usually stay swollen and discolored this long?  I would appreciate any advice or direction you could give me.  Thank you.