Orthopedics Community
Is my leg (fibula) going to hold up on the Appalachian Trail thru-hike?...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Is my leg (fibula) going to hold up on the Appalachian Trail thru-hike??

I have always had a great desire to thru-hike the 2000+ mile Appalachian Trail, but never had the chance to get away for 7 straight months..  The timing is more than perfect right now though as I am 30 years old, a photographer and super ambitious to make a book.. EXCEPT I have one thing that is weighing down heavy on my mind and inspirations.. I broke my fibula (spiral fracture) 11 months ago during a freak accident on a fishing trip..  They inserted a plate with 7 screws last June and it seems like it is taking forever to heal. I still feel a fair amount of soreness and swelling from time to time. It's not at all bad for normal daily activities, but I'm a little worried about carrying a 50 lb. pack on my back and hiking 2000+ miles for 7 months. Do you have any suggestions on how I can exercise my ankle to prep for the journey? Is there anything that I should be concerned about as far as the swelling?