Orthopedics Community
Knee makes a popping sound when I walk

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Knee makes a popping sound when I walk

Last year I had a bi-lateral root repair(rt knee in Feb & then the left knee in July). I still have some mild pain in the right knee, even though I still can't squat or do some activities the pain is tolerable. But the left knee has me concerned. I did really well in therapy after the surgery & even w/the at home exercises once I was released from therapy, but now I'm having ALOT of pain. I feel a popping across the top of my knee when I straighten it(if on my back) & some pain. I saw the orthopedic 2 wks ago & he took another xray that showed everything was fine, including no arthritis, but he gave me another cortisone shot to help w/the inflammation. I've had several over time & never had any problems but this one made my knee hurt worse, he said he had to get through alot of scar tissue to get to the joint. I kept ice on it & watched for signs of infection but didn't have any. Now when I walk every step to every other step I take you hear & feel a pop on the outside(left side) of my knee where I got the shot. It literally sounds like I'm cracking my knuckles when I walk it's that loud, my friend even asked where the popping sound was coming from. When I stand up after sitting for a while I limp alot because it's very difficult to walk until it loosens up some. Is this normal or should I call my dr back? I hate wasting the dr's time if it's nothing.
Hi there!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include inflammation, further degeneration, scar formation, loose bodies, patellar dislocation etc. While most of these issues have been ruled out, I would suggest resting the knee for a few days and considering physiotherapy to strengthen the muscles around the knee joint. If the symptoms fail to improve with the suggested management, I would suggest seeking a review with your treating orthopedician for a detailed evaluation and suggestion of an appropriate management plan.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!