Orthopedics Community
Mallet Break left hand ring finger

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Mallet Break left hand ring finger

Hello, My daughter broke her finger yesterday. We went to the Children's Hosptial and they took XRays. The fracture she has is on the growth plate and I think its called a mallet break. The emergency room doctor said that we need to have her finger looked at by a plastic surgeon and we have an appointment for next week. Her finger is in a splint to keep it straight. The issue is that my daughter is very upset. She is a competitive figure skater and has been training very hard this past year. The competition season is starting and she has a very important competition next week. She really wants to keep skating and compete. If we tape her finger up tight so it doesnt bend, can she skate?
Hi there!

It is not advisable to put stress of the region of fracture despite it being kept in position since this would hamper proper healing. She would probably have to skip the season.
Hope this information is useful.

Take care!