Orthopedics Community
Nerve pain after surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Nerve pain after surgery

I had a microdisectomy 8/10 and was pain free for 10 days. 10 days later I developed nerve pain in my buttocks and both feet. L5-S1 was involved and I am told the nerve is irritated. However, I have had 3 lumbar steroid injections, been on oral steroids and have failed at water and regular PT. All therapy seems to make my feet worse. Walking is painful and just going to work and coming home irritates the pain. My surgeon says this happens sometimes and does not know what else to say since the surgery was "successful".

Should I be in this much pain and is therapy the kind of thing that I should push through and overtime it will get better? Or if that and walking irritates the pain more should I be limiting activities? Any advice would be appreciated?
I too am having similar symptoms.  I had microdisectomy of the L5.  I'm not getting anywhere with my doctor either.  My pain is from my L5 going into my left buttocks, down my leg and into my foot.  If I twist or squat,( I can't bend at the waist with my legs together anymore because of the intense pain) the nerve becomes irritated and my left leg and foot swells up and goes down-repeats over and over.  Pins and needle sensation in both legs and feet.  The pain is a deep pain.  Also, I now have pain in right lower back and right leg.  Similar to pre-surgery.  I have had surgery, steriod shot, physical therapy repeatedly.  I'm told surgery was a successful.  But there's nothing else that can be done.  I was asked if I've ever tried water therapy.  Non was perscribed. As of your plite.  My suggestion to you is to take things slower.  I have too.  Also....maybe you might want to see another doctor.  I hope things go well for you and your pain goes away soon.  Take care......