Orthopedics Community
Numbness on the two middle fingers in both hands

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Hi, I fell back when I was 9months pregnant landing on my left hand, jolting my shoulder.
I had an arthroscopic rotator cuff repair three months later & the removal of a burst fluid sack that supplied the area between my thumb & first finger. The incision for that is on the under side of my wrist. For at least the last six months I have regular numbness in my two middle fingers on both hands? It is a very unusual feeling, not asleep & not tingly but almost dead like which can be frightening & take up to 6-7 minutes to get any sensation back. Another surgeon has now recommended I get a nerve conduction test done. My question is, why would this be happening in both hands as the surgery & original injury was to the left hand & arm only. Admittedly, I had to use my right hand a lot more after the surgery which became "overused & sore to the point I used to have to strap it up"! It's been more than a year & a half since the surgeries & I have mobility albeit with some pain still, but why is the numbness getting worse, especially at night or when my arms are raised such as taking on the phone? Thankyou
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms; though there could be a few causes such as spinal issues, bilateral neuro-muscular causes such as nerve impingement, micronutrient deficiencies, vascular causes etc. It is true that shoulder issues on one side would not cause symptoms on the other hence a different etiology would need to be considered. I would suggest getting this evaluated by a neurologist for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.
Hope this helps.

Take care!