Orthopedics Community
Numbness/tingling 2.5 weeks post-shoulder arthroscopy?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Numbness/tingling 2.5 weeks post-shoulder arthroscopy?

Hello,
I had a shoulder scope with Bankart Repair, Remplissage, and tightening up of the muscles in the front of my shoulder after dislocating my shoulder in a bicycle accident in October that resulted in severe instability.  The surgery took place January 5, 2010.  Since the nerve block wore off after the surgery, I have had numbness over the top of my shoulder to about 1/3 of the way down the outside of my arm- not in the front or back.  That has been continuous and nothing makes it go away.
Over the past few days, however, I have also started getting some numbness and pins and needles just below the inside of my elbow and in my hand.  Sometimes the pins and needles become very painful, but I can't seem to connect the sensation coming/going to anything I am doing (i.e. any particular way I am moving, etc.).  I am currently in an abduction sling and am supposed to stay in it for another 2.5 weeks.
What is this? Do I need to do something about it? I am a college student, and my surgery was done at home in Pennsylvania, but I am now back at school in Massachusetts, so if I need to see a doctor I will need to contact my surgeon to get the information sent to a doctor here, I will not be able to see him before March.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts/advice!