Partial Wrist Fusion
I am scheduled to have a partial wrist fusion.  I have been seeing the surgeon now for over 18 months for really bad paid in my right wrist.  After many scans and other procedures they have found that the bones in my wrist that should be held together by ligaments are not in my case.  I have no ligaments holding them together and this is what is causing my pain.  He suggested two surgery's the first being to take ligaments from some where else and to attached them to my wrist joint, and the other a partial wrist fusion.  The first option he said is more or less out of the window as my bones are two far apart and the ligaments would not last more than a few years, hence my only other option of fusing some of the bones together.
I am told that I could lose possibly half to two thirds of my movement of my joint, which is rather a lot.  Is there any other procedure that I can have?
Please email me me at ***@**** if you prefer.

Niall
I am a 26 year old woman, I had a full wrist fusion in August last year due to the wrist joint being worn out following several injuries. Before the surgery I was in constant pain, not excruciating but constantly limiting what I was able to do. After the initial pain from the surgery had cleared up I haven't looked back. It was the best thing I could have done, I have no up and down or left and right movement at all, but have almost full rotational movement and it is no harder finding ways to do anything now than it was to do things with pain before the surgery. It is actually easier to do most things after the fusion than it was to try to do things with a rigid splint.
Hope this helps, and good luck