Orthopedics Community
SI joint and sciatic pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

SI joint and sciatic pain

My right SI joint shows severe arthritis with multiple bone spurs on ct scan.  I have right buttock pain but the main problem is intense burning which goes down the back of my right leg all the way to the foot with cramps in my last two toes of right foot.  I have had decompression surgery on my lower back.  There is no nerve compression there.  I cannot sit, stand, or lay without the burning.  I cannot sleep but toss from side to side because of the burning.  I am told that no one operates on the SI joint.  I have tried steriod injections without success but with reaction including inflamation (inflammation) of tongue and mucous membranes.  Is there a surgical answer for me?  Pain management does not seem to have helped.  I have heard of botox injections to the periformis but cannot find any doctors who utilize this.
Thanks for any help.
Hello dear,

Osteophytes which are protrusions of bone and cartilage are very common and develop in areas of a degenerating joint With age, the vertebrae (the component bones of the spine) gradually form bone spurs, and their shock-absorbing disks slowly shrink.
These changes can alter the alignment and stability of the spine
However, about 50% of people over age 50 experience neck pain and stiffness due to cervical spondylosis. Of these people, 25-40% have at least one episode of cervical radiculopathy, a condition that arises when osteophytes compress nerves between the vertebrae. Another potential problem occurs if osteophytes, degenerating disks, or shifting vertebrae narrow the spinal canal. This pressure compresses the spinal cord and its blood vessels, causing cervical spondylitic myelopathy, a disorder in which large segments of the spinal cord are damaged. This disorder affects fewer than 5% of people with cervical spondylosis. Symptoms of both cervical spondylitic myelopathy and cervical radiculopathy may be present in some people.
.
You should go in for Physical therapy such as hydrotherapy, massage, and hot/cold therapy.
Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) is a treatment in which a painless electrical current is sent to specific nerves through electrode patches that are placed on the skin. The mild electrical current generates heat that serves to relieve stiffness, improve mobility, and relieve pain
Treatment methods should be focused on pain relief and maintaining quality of life.Although slow, usually these conservative treatments relieve pain
Researchers are investigating whether injections of botulinum toxin (Botox) in the lower back can safely and effectively relieve pain. Very small amounts of Botox temporarily paralyzes muscle tissue. Botox is commonly used to smooth out wrinkles. Some studies have suggested that Botox may be very helpful in relieving chronic low back pain and sciatica caused by piriformis syndrome

Refer http://adam.about.com/reports/Back-pain-and-sciatica.htm
Best