Orthopedics Community
Scoliosis in a 12 yr old girl

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Scoliosis in a 12 yr old girl

My daughter was diagnosed with Scoliosis last week.  I was referred to Scottish Rite Hospital for Children in Texas.  This hospital has a 2-3 month waiting period.  When I called to make an appointment and was asked to confirm information they had information on 43 degree Levo Lumbar curve (T12- L5).  When I told them they should also have information on 60 degree Dexter Thoratic mid (T3-L1) the lady asked me to repeat the degree, did I say 6-0?  I said yes.  She then asked to call me back.  Within 2 minutes I received a call back and have an appointment in 2 weeks.  Now I'm concerned, I went from appt in 3 months to one in 2 weeks.  As I said, she is 12 (Will be in August) so she is just fixing to hit her growth spurt.  Everything I read says brace up to 40 degree and surgery over that.  Then it states in girls who are still growing a brace is 1st step.  Are we already to far gone for a brace? Is surgery the option with her curves?  I need to prepare myself for the visit to the hospital.  When I am prepared I can remain calm therefore she will remain calm.  Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.  Also any questions I should ask the doctor.
Tags: Scoliosis, girl, help, surgery
Hi there!

Well, though braces are generally advised in growing children, these do little to correct the curves; and scoliosis more than 40 degrees would require a corrective surgery sooner or later. While an early surgery may hamper growth in children, use of braces to restrict the worsening on curves may be suggested for some time and surgery postponed.
Hope this information is helpful.

Take care!