Shoulder and arm pain
I'm a 59 yr.ol female. I woke up 6 days ago with excrusiating pain in my shoulder and arm radiating down to the hand. I cannot move my arm without having unbearable pain. I cannot lift my arm. Even the skin on my shoulder and arm is tender to the touch in certain areas. My hand and arm constantly ache. I had vicodin 500mg. left from a surgery iIhad and it only keeps the pain barely tolerable for about 2 hours. I have not had an injury and I woke up this way. My overall health is fair. I have bladder cancer that is in remission. I have PAD and had a stent placed in the femoral artery three years ago. What could be wrong? I know it sounds like a rotator cuff injury according to my husband and friends but I have not done anything to cause this injury if that is what it is.
Hello Sharoon49

The following information would be of help to you.

The causes of the rotator cuff injury are as follows
An emerging consensus suggests that the etiology of rotator cuff disease is multifactorial. Extrinsic factors exist, such as the morphology of the coracoacromial arch, tensile overload, repetitive use, and kinematics abnormalities. Intrinsic factors also exist, such as altered tendon vascular supply, microstructural collagen fiber abnormalities, and regional variations.

Refer: http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic512.htm
You need to correlate with the above mentioned causes. Avoid repetitive usage trauma or injury.
Take anti-inflammaory medicine like ibuprofen under medical supervision. Hope this helps.

Best,
Take care