Spinal Stenosis and multiple Disk Prolapses!!
I am nearly 33 years old and left paralised from the waste down,because I suffer of severe Spinal Stenosis in 4 Vertabre's(That's narrowings in my vertabre's that effect my spinalcord and nerves)and Disk Prolaps in 5 disks.Usually the Stenosis does not cause Paralisis like mine.ANd especially not at such young age.But with the 5 disks that have either slipped or broken,and no Operation(Which should have been don straight away and then either fuse the area whith plates and scrws or a medical mash or insert an artificial disk)the disk that first broke has now moved and cut through my spinal cord.And now I am beeing told that an Operation would only make things worse.But the other 4 disks are still causing me a lot of pain and make my life very difficult.All the time nobody is doing anything I wont be able to come off the painkillers,like Morphine.Why do I not get given the chance to recover at least with the other 4 disks?By doing nothing,not even any physiotherapy,my spinal muskletissue has dissapeared and now I seem to have divelopped an Osteoporosis,as I cant move around like normal healthy people anymore.What else can I do to convince Doctors to at least operate on the other disks and above all stabelise my spine by fusing it,to stop any further damage.And above all to maybe relieve some of my pain,so I can come of these strong painkillers?I am realistic about walking again,but should they not try anything to prevent any more damage and to relieve the pressure?Why do I meet this Ignorance?And why am I not given the choice about an operation,including the risks?

0
1. Spinal Surgery

0
2. Pain

0
3. Patients Rights

0
4. Help or simple comments on my story
Dear Wheelygirl!

Greetings from the forum!

In any form of medical surgery before going for the decision the surgeon always thinks that by doing the surgery will it be helpful to the patient?
In cases and conditions where the surgery cannot cure the condition the surgeon does not consider going ahead with the surgery as it will make the patient to pass through the whole traumatic experience of surgery.
In your case it is good to visit a Medical school where a team of Orthopaedician’s can take a decision keeping in mind the patient's rights intact.
It is very difficult for an individual surgeon to take the decision.

Take care!