Orthopedics Community
Sudden onset of constant knee cracking
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Sudden onset of constant knee cracking

Yesterday, I noticed that my right knee started cracking with every step as I went upstairs. There was no pain, and I actually didn't even realize that the sound was coming from my knee at first. I had forgotten about the cracking until today, when I again heard the cracking with every step as I climbed the stairs. Since then, I have noticed that it cracks (just not very loudly) when I stand up from a seated position, and when I pivot to change directions... but still no pain.

I have no recollection of any recent injury or unusual exercise activity that may have impacted my knee. I am in my early 30s and am in good health. Since it's so sudden, I am afraid it may be something potentially serious. Any thoughts as to what may be causing this?