Orthopedics Community
Swelling between index finger and thumb

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Swelling between index finger and thumb

I have swelling the area between my index finger and my thumb. I'm thinking it is the muscles & ligaments in this area.  The area is hard and swollen and painful to hold and move those two fingers.  Additionally, the range of movement for my thumbs have been reduced to 50% I cannot stretch my thumb back without serious pain and discomfort.  This is the case in both hands and it just occured between last night while sleeping. What could have cause this.  P.S. I was doing some cooking last evening.
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include infections, inflammations, injuries to muscles/ ligaments/ tendons etc. I would suggest seeing a primary care physician or an orthopedician at your earliest convenience for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!