Orthopedics Community
Swollen knuckle

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Swollen knuckle

So I punched something really hard during karate and my little finger and ring finger area turned very purple and blue, and the bruising spread down my hand. The two knuckles also swelled up a lot and it hurt a lot at first but after two days it was just a constant irritating throb.
It's two weeks later and the swelling and bruising is completely gone, but as the swelling went down I noticed a small lump of something between my little and ring finger knuckle. It's very small, probably about half a centimetre, and I know it shouldn't be there. It's hard but I can't tell exactly how hard as there is a little skin and flesh covering it so it's difficult to tell completely. It's between the knuckles but a little bit forward and it hurts when I put pressure on it with my hand in a fist (like if I do push-ups with fists)
Please help! I completely ignored it and let the swelling go down by itself, which I am now regretting and I am worried this could be quite bad.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

There is nothing to worry, first get a proper diagnosis done.

Go for an X-ray and rule out fractures. It is important to rest your fingers to recover from any injury. Take pain killers, apply ice packs and also wear some finger splints if required. If there is any fracture follow up with an orthopedician.

Take care!