Synovitis of the Knee
I have had knee problems for years; I have now had 4 surgeries on my left knee, including a partial replacement in 1/11. About 2 months ago, my knee started swelling without injury. My orthopedist was hesitant to remove the fluid because of the risk of infection, but felt he had to after the 3rd time it swelled, and the joint was full of blood. I had arthroscopic surgery last week, in which they burned off synovial tissue, hoping that was causing the problem. Has this happened to anyone in this forum, or does anything have any experience with synovitis? I'm wondering how common this is, and how likely a recurrence is...I have read that it can recur, and I would HATE to think that I'm going to have to go through this numerous times.

Thanks!
Hi there!

Presence of blood in the synovial fluid could be indicative of destructive lesion/ inflammations or other systemic issues such as bleeding disorders, micronutrient deficiency, medication side effects etc. Synovitis could result as a primary condition or more commonly is associated with arthritis of the joint. Management is usually conservative with anti-inflammatory medications, while surgical measures are reserved for severe cases. Synovitis may be a chronic condition especially when associated with arthritis; however the recurrence rate with surgical/ interventional techniques is far less as compared to medications alone.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!