Orthopedics Community
Tendonitis???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Tendonitis???

Hello All,
I'm sorry, I know these post come up a lot, but here’s my situation.  I am a thirty year old female and I use the keyboard a lot for work and have been having some hand pain.  It occurred to me that I have been experiencing some form of hand pain for at least 11 months so I decided to go to the (new) doctor.  When making the appointment I assumed I had something along the lines of tendonitis and really just wanted to make sure that I am not doing in lasting damage to my hands.  The doctor ruled out carpal tunnel, but became concerned when I told him about the peak of the pain in December.  I had a very painful knot (it only lasted 3 weeks) in my hand between the thumb and index finger.  Also at least three different times my fingers turned bluish purple (the doctor called it Cyanosis), twice I woke up with blue fingers and once it happened at work.  In December and occasionally since then, the veins, even the small ones, in my hands (palms and fingers) would become very visible for several days at a time, usually accompanied by burning/tingling/itching sensations, I am not really sure how to describe it.   Sometimes my hands will become flushed by turning red and hot.  My more regular symptoms are pain in both hands, but usually worse in the right, I am right handed.  The pain is the worst in the base of the thumbs.  It doesn’t take much of a flare up for the pain to spread to the fingers and wrists, when really aggravated the forearms, then elbows and upper arms.  The pain can wake me up or prevent me from sleeping.  Also, it hurts constantly, but definitely is aggravated by use.  
I guess my question is if these symptoms are typical of a repetitive strain and the doctor is being overly cautious or if there really is a potential for a greater problem? Are there any symptoms I should be on the lookout for or any questions I should be asking?  I do have an appointment with a hand specialist in a couple of weeks.  
Thanks for reading and I will appreciate any and all responses.
Hi there!

Except the pain, the symptoms do not necessarily point towards repetitive strain. Other possibilities that may need to be considered include autoimmune/ inflammatory conditions, injuries/ degeneration, neuropathy, vasculitis, growths/ masses, autonomic disturbances, micronutrient deficiencies, connective tissue disorders, hormonal/ endocrine causes etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician or a rheumatologist for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!