Orthopedics Community
Various Joints

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Various Joints

Hey all! Heres the thing: I am double jointed in most of my joints. I can pop my shoulder in and out of place, hyperextend my elbows and knees (make them look curved, like the top part of my arm/leg is seperated from the bottom part--even just slightly) , do the whole finger-bending thing, pop most every bone out of place (even jaw, I know it's weird), bend my back almost in half, and do over-splits. I can also move the two bones leading up to my wrist, seperate them a bit and put them back together, and make the bump in my wrist disappear so it looks flat. Anyway, my shoulder popping out was never a problem, it kind of helped when I was doing contortionism. But now I'm noticing that it pops out at unnecessary times now...As with my hips. Sometimes when doing kicks in dance, I can feel it dislocate and go back it. It doesn't hurt, but I don't know if this is normal. I pop my hip out myself sometimes to do certain body positions and stretches in dance and cheerleading. Do my sports choices have anything to do with this? I've always been flexible, as I've done dance, cheer and gymnastics my whole life.I'm only 14.
Tags: Various, joints, Life, problem, bone, Knee, legs, sports, Back, shoulder, double jointed, hypertensionextension, oversplits, Flexible, girl, dislocation, bending, stretching
Hi there!

You seem to be having excessive laxity of ligaments or a connective tissue disorder. Constant popping/ dislocating the joints could lead to degeneration on a long term. I would suggest considering an evaluation by an orthopedician to evaluate for the severity of the condition and for appropriate management, if required.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!