What can be done about my daughters tailbone?
We just came from having x-rays performed on my 13 yr old daughters back because her tailbone has been hurting for a long time.  The x-rays showed something very unusual.  Insead of her tailbone being shaped like an arrow, it is like split in the middle and goes out like curves on both sides.  The nurse practioner we saw said she has never seen anything like it!  Says I need to get her a donut cushion to sit on for comfort.  What?  Is this a birth defect?  A disease?  I want some answers and she had none.  She said radiology will look at it tomorrow and call me if they think it's serious.  Okay!  Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?  I don't want her to live in pain the rest of her life and they told me there is  nothing they can do about a broken tailbone.  But I don't know if it's broken or if she was born this way.
You need to speak with an orthopedist about this. If she was not injured, chances are it is a defect. The name for pain in the coccyx region is Coccydynia. The first things to try are chiropractic, medicine, physical therapy and epidural injections. If that fails, surgery can be done to completely remove the coccyx, it will not be missed. I have not sure what the specific condition is called, but your doctor might. Good luck.