Orthopedics Community
What does my MRI results mean?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

What does my MRI results mean?

my MRI says:  Right shoulder - there is a 3 x 7mm full thickness tear within the anterior supraspinatus tendon at the insertion near the rotator interval.  There is a small glenohumeral effusion as well as some fluid signal in the subacromial-subdeltoid bursa.  The remainder of the supraspinatus tendon is quite thick and heterogeneous with loss of normal of fibrillar architecture. Plane radiograph shows small area of calcification in the distal rotator cuff.  There is some fluid sgnal tracking proximally into the myotendinous poriton of the supraspinatus muscle.  Similar thickening and signal abnormality is present in the infraspinatus, to a lesser degree.  Tendon is intact Subscapularis is intact and biceps tendon is intact
Left Shoulder - there is an 3 x 10mm full thickness tear at the supraspinatus insertion with partion tendon retraction. There is a fair amount of glenohumeral joint effusion and there is fluid int he subacromiall-sudeltoid bursea tracking proximallyunder the clavicle as well as effusion int he subcoracoid bursa.  Subscapularis tendon is intact and the biceps tendon is normal .
What the heck does this all mean?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
hello buddy,
this clearly means that you have got a Rotator cuff tear on both the sides. Well, supraspinatus muscle is one of the major component of the rotator cuff and and tear / break in its continuty can cause serious pain in the shoulder. Commonly seen in baseball players, rugby players or crickets due to the throwing activities. So visit an orthopaedician for a treatment planing.
Keep asking for your doubts.
regards