Orthopedics Community
Wrist issue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Wrist issue

Good afternoon,

I am right handed and obviously use this hand much, much more than my left hand. I realized that my wrist posture related to my computer use has been poor, as my mouse was higher than my elbow.  I work on a computer often, resting my right wrist on the edge of my desk. Recently I noticed a very slight bruising and what appears to be a slight swelling on my right wrist where it would rest on the edge of the desk. There is no real pain or loss of motion, and it’s probably not something I would normally notice. One thing that has struck me, however, is that the veins in my right wrist appear less visible than the veins in my left wrist. I have talked to people who think that can be normal for the dominant hand/wrist as the less dominant left wrist can be skinnier.
Do you know if it can make sense for the veins in the dominant hand/wrist to be less visible than the other wrist? Also is there a way I should care for the right wrist? I have adjusted my mouse pad and plan to buy a wrist rest. I was thinking ice and maybe arnica gel? Does this sound like a decent course of action for now?
Any insight would be appreciated.  Thanks.
Hi there!

Visibility of the superficial veins may vary slightly between the hands and should not be a cause to worry. A rest pad for the wrist should be good, though you could also try switching to the wireless mouse. Creams/ lotions/ moisturizers may also be helpful for the purpose.
Hope this helps.

Take care!