Orthopedics Community
big toe pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

big toe pain

ever since i was little i have been able to crack both my left and my right big toes without even touching them.  i have done it my whole life.  I could even lay in bed and crack them hundreds of times in just a few minutes if i wanted to. just by moving it back and forth a certain way will create a loud crack.   I am now 36 years old and i think it's catching up with me.  my right toe has been hurting for months now and it's becoming more difficult to walk on.  i can no longer crack this toe, not that i want to.  do you have any suggestions of what this might be and any treatment options?  Honestly it feels like i've damaged my cartilage or something.  
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!  

Cracking is medically termed as cavitation. If you bend a joint or stretch it in a continuous way, it causes the bones of the joint to pull apart. There are dissolved gases in your body fluids, carbon dioxide, oxygen and nitrogen which form bubbles. As you stretch it further there is a creation of a vacuum and pressure difference and thus the sound.

Because you have been doing it for years I would suggest you to go for an examination to come to a diagnosis if there is involvement and damage of the joint capsule or articular cartilage is use.
Take pain killers and follow up for an X-ray and diagnose your problem. Take an appointment near an orthopedician.

Take care!