Orthopedics Community
did i dislocate or break a bone in my shoulder?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

in november i was playing volleyball and I'm an over hand server and i went to serve and i heard a pop in my shoulder and i couldn't move my arm for a couple of seconds because it hurt but i only had 10 mins of practice left so i kept playing the next day when i woke up i was in excruciating pain and i  couldn't move my shoulder at all after a while i got up because i needed to get ready for school and when i went to put my shirt on i noticed this huge purple mark on my shoulder so i showed my mom and she decided to take me to the hospital when i got there i had to get an x ray and an ultra sound but the doctor said she didn't know what was wrong with my shoulder and she didn't know what the purple mark was so i was sent home with a lot of pain and no medicine for the pain about 5 weeks ago i was sent to the fracture clinic and i was told i needed physio so my mom set up an appointment with a physio therapist and its scheduled for monday jan 13 but last week i fell down the stairs and landed on the same shoulder and I've been in a lot of pain! And i think i fractured my coracoid process even though its uncommon in children (I'm 13)  i think that because when i feel that area there is this hard thing popping out but when you look at my shoulder it doesn't seem like its popped out only when you feel it! Also on the top of my shoulder it feels like their is a bone sticking out and its 3 times higher then my other shoulder its basically touching my chin (not literally)  Do you think i fractured a bone in my shoulder? Will i need a cast or surgery? and should i go back to the hospital?

Hi!
The purple patch is probably a hematoma or localized collection of blood. It could also be a bruise.
Yes, it is best to go to a hospital. You may need a fresh set of X-rays. You may also need MRI. Yes, you may need a cast or a sling depending on type of injury and you need to rest the shoulder. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.