do I really require this knee surgery
Hello, I have recently been diagnosed with a full thickness tearing of the anterior cruciate ligament.
Although at my age (60) the doctor feels that I don't require surgery to fix this problem, he is suggesting that he go in to clean up the torn ligaments by cutting them off and shaving out any depris, closing it up and thats it.
Is this really necessary?  Should't they be concerned with reparing the actual ligament?
I am not an athlete but I am active I like to run and cycle. I have read a lot of articles that suggest that you do not
require this anterior ligament as much if you are not an aggressive athlete. I need to make a decision fairly quickly on wether or not to have this surgery, so I am hoping that I find an answer soon.
Thanks.  Residency
Hi there!

Well, this is a decision that would need to be taken after an evaluation of the severity of the tear and the associated symptoms. A repair may not be necessary in all cases unless the patient requires regaining of complete physical strength or in severe injuries and usually conservative treatment is employed. As far as the decision of an arthroscopic debriment is concerned this would also depend on the severity of the tear and associated injuries. If you have doubts, you may seek a second opinion with another orthopedic surgeon.
Hope this was useful.

Take care!