Orthopedics Community
do I really require this knee surgery
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

do I really require this knee surgery

Hello, I have recently been diagnosed with a full thickness tearing of the anterior cruciate ligament.
Although at my age (60) the doctor feels that I don't require surgery to fix this problem, he is suggesting that he go in to clean up the torn ligaments by cutting them off and shaving out any depris, closing it up and thats it.
Is this really necessary?  Should't they be concerned with reparing the actual ligament?
I am not an athlete but I am active I like to run and cycle. I have read a lot of articles that suggest that you do not
require this anterior ligament as much if you are not an aggressive athlete. I need to make a decision fairly quickly on wether or not to have this surgery, so I am hoping that I find an answer soon.
Thanks.  Residency
Tags: knees