Orthopedics Community
elbow bone pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

elbow bone pain

I went to the doctor in June to see what the problem was with my right arm. Since Feb. I have been having pain in my right arm. He told me that I had tennis elbow. And was told to get a tennis elbow case. I was also told to put ice on it four times a day. But it has not helped. I have been having pain in the right bone in my elbow where my funny bone is in my arm. The other night I heard like a popping sound when my moved my right arm. I was wondering is there is something going on besides tennis elbow.  Could I have some kind of orthopedics problem going on with my arm?

callolin
Hello Dear,
The onset of pain in tennis elbow, on the outside (lateral) of the elbow, is usually gradual with tenderness felt on or below the joint's bony prominence. Movements such as gripping, lifting and carrying tend to be troublesome.
• Recurring pain on the outside of the upper forearm just below the bend of the elbow; occasionally, pain radiates down the arm toward the wrist.
• Pain caused by lifting or bending the arm or grasping even light objects such as a coffee cup.
• Difficulty extending the forearm fully (because of inflamed muscles, tendons and ligaments).
• Pain that typically lasts for 6 to 12 weeks; the discomfort can continue for as little as 3 weeks or as long as several years
The damage that tennis elbow incurs consists of tiny tears in a part of the tendon and in muscle coverings. After the initial injury heals, these areas often tear again, which leads to hemorrhaging and the formation of rough, granulated tissue and calcium deposits within the surrounding tissues. Collagen, a protein, leaks out from around the injured areas, causing inflammation. The resulting pressure can cut off the blood flow and pinch the radial nerve, one of the major nerves controlling muscles in the arm and hand.
Tendons, which attach muscles to bones, do not receive the same amount of oxygen and blood that muscles do, so they heal more slowly. In fact, some cases of tennis elbow can last for years, though the inflammation usually subsides in 6 to 12 weeks.
Many medical textbooks treat tennis elbow as a form of tendonitis, which is often the case, but if the muscles and bones of the elbow joint are also involved, then the condition is called epicondylitis. However, if you feel pain directly on the back of your elbow joint, rather than down the outside of your arm, you may have bursitis, which is caused when lubricating sacs in the joint become inflamed. If you see swelling, which is almost never a symptom of tennis elbow, you may want to investigate other possible conditions, such as arthritis, infection, gout .
Refer http://www.tennis-elbow.net/tenniselbow.htm
Best