Orthopedics Community
extra ankle bone?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

extra ankle bone?

7056366?1310355808
hello everyone, i sort of have a silly question but I have what seems to be a second ankle bone on my right foot. its about the same size of my regular one and it doesnt hurt or anything ive posted a pic,, i was at the drs the other day and he said that its just an extra bone and that its normal and if its not causing any pain it should be fine.. but i wanted to see if any one else has this also.. none of my friends nor my family do! also i know my dr said its fine but should i worry? sorry the photo isnt very good quality..
Hi there!

If it is not hard to touch it is more likely to be a tendon that becomes prominent on ankle movement. If it is hard to touch, it may be a bony outgrowth or a spur, which as suggested by your doctor appears to be benign and should not be anything to worry about.
Hope this helps.

Take care!