Orthopedics Community
hard lump on thumb

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

hard lump on thumb

Hi there,

About a month ago a lump came up on the side of my right thumb.  It's not very big, but is noticeable from the front and side.  When it came up there was some pain, I definitely haven't injured it.  It's really strange, there is very minor discomfort but I wouldn't really say pain and I don't think it has gotten much bigger, just a little.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest what is wrong with it! I am 19, history of osteosarcoma (bone cancer) of the mandible diagnosed when I was 12 (treated with chemo and surgery, all clear for 6 years). My health is ok-ish, and my oncologist gave me a very good prognosis and said he didn't think I am likely to relapse (although bone cancer is in my family).  I don't think it's another tumor, but could anyone here suggest what it could be?

I don't have time to go to the doctors for another 3 weeks so any input would be appreciated :)

Libby
Hey Libby!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of the lump. The lump could have arisen from the bone (benign or malignant lesion) or from the surrounding soft tissue structures. Without knowing the cause, it would be difficult to suggest a management plan. It would be best to get this evaluated by your primary care physician initially; and depending on the diagnosis, it can be managed accordingly or specialist care may be sought.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!