Orthopedics Community
knee dislocations

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

knee dislocations

My right knee cap occasionally will slip out of place and then realign its self.  When this happens I have severe pain for a few hours. It usally only happens every few months, however I was in the hospital for asthma and it happened twice. All I have to be doing is just walking. Is this something to worry about?  I broke my right ankle in 2001 and since then have had it fused, I fell on my left knee in 1996 and in 2007 had to have a patellar relignment. In the next 5 to 10 years I will need both a total ankle and total knee replacements. I'm 32 year old female 5'8" 240#.  Any advice is welcomed.
Thank you
Laura
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

This is due to the accidents you have had on your knee and to avoid this you need to wear a supportive brace or a knee strap. You have also to check if your ligaments are functioning properly and your quadriceps tendon insertion is proper  at your knee joint.

Follow up with your orthopedician and with total knee replacement you will not have these symptoms anymore.

Take care!