Orthopedics Community
knee pain after a fall..

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

knee pain after a fall..

Iam a 49 yr old female...quite obese but am dieting and losing weight. About a month and a half ago, ( March 6th) I fell on the ice. I landed oddly, my left inside knee, the side of the knee, hit the cement-hard. So I didnt fall forward, it was an awkward fall. My right knee also hit the cement, not as hard, towards the inside of that knee too. I hopped right back up,and was amazed-nothing hurt!! Well, I came in the house..sat for about an hour..went to get up, and  things had stiffened up. The left knee was hurting big time! I immediatly iced it, as they say to do.
Well, Its now April 18th. For about a week after that fall, my knee pain went away completely. Ive had NO other falls, im very careful. I have NEVER had knee pain of any kind before. The left knee pain came back about 2 weeks after the fall. its never left. It moves though! Most times, it hurts right in the spot, that side of my knee on the inner part of my leg..but sometimes its in the kneecap area too. I just had a physical with my GP April 6th, he did a VERY quick exam of the knee..pushing, bending, and wasnt concerned. Just said to take tylenol. Well, it seems to be getting worse, and now, in the past day or so, my RIGHT knee is hurting too! What on earth is happening?
It hurts the most, when I get up after being off my feet. Wow...I feel like I can hardly walk..but yet, the more I walk, it still hurts, but it lessens. The right (injured) knees pain is like a pinching...
I dont understand why the pain seems to be increasing, as well as the time since the fall. Could the right knee be hurting because Im unconsciously walking different, favoring the left knee somehow? I guess Ive never heard of falling...having no pain...then having some pain...then no pain..and back to alot of pain!

Since I did just see my Dr..is there any sense in calling? Going back in?
hi. it's long after u posted ur troubles, but if you see this or get a message saying my reply here is here to read, lemme know, post I mean, to tell what happened with your knee.  I had a fall similar to yours onto concrete two weeks ago.  From no knee trouble to knee trouble, like you.  Did you go to an orthopedist? That's probably where I'm headed.  For a good diagnosis.  Yuck.