labral hip tear - chronic pain
New to posting and hoping for some advice out there.  Too make this long story short...I have MS(newly diagnosed) and issues with my hips.  The chronic pain has kept me out on disability - not the MS.  A year ago, after some falls, an MRI showed hip bone marrow edema and labral hip tear.  Pain has been debilitating.  They even thought possible AVN. After PT, steroid shots a year later, next MRI showed labral tears in both hips, with a sometype of gluetal media tear. Ortho wanted more testing and to see an ortho surgeon.  I went for second opinion at one of the "big" joint places in the area. Was told that labral hip tears are "no big deal", very common, and not the cause of all my pain.  Sent on my way after a one minute consult.  
My question is does surgery help?  Especially after PT and steroids have been used.  Any advice would be so greatly appreciated.