Orthopedics Community
need help understanding MRI findings..

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

need help understanding MRI findings..

5681680?1273864980
I will type old MRI findings compared to new MRI findings for each level...only 2 levels involved L4/5 and L5/S1. TO MAKE EASIER...MY QUESTIONS WILL BE IN PARENTHSIS AT EACH LEVEL AND/OR AFTER A SENTENCE!

NEW MRI---L4/5---there is desiccation of the disk and some minimal loss of disk height. There is mild broad-based disk bulging and mild bilateral recess narrowing. Early degenerative disk changes w/out impingement or significant stenosis. There is degenerative facet disease at L4/5 and L5/S1, moderate.

OLD MRI---L4/5--There is disk desiccation with minimal concentric bulge and annular fissure. Facet arthrosis with mild ligamentum in folding. Mild narrowing of the spinal canal.

( what is the difference btw minimal concentric bulge and broad-based bulge? does it mean gotten worse, better or indifferent?     Why does the old mri report annular fissure and new one did not? is that assumed with this type of bulge or do radiologists report in a different way etc..?   i was hoping this new mri which is a high tech machine would show more info of tear as i'm trying to avoid a discogram. will the dr be able to see on images?   why does old mri talk about ligamentum infolding but not new one?)

NEW MRI---L5/S1---There is severe loss of disk height. There are discogenic changes of the endplates. There is a moderate sized circumferential disk bulge. There is mild central and bilateral lateral recess stenosis. There is moderate bilateral forminal stenosis, no definate impingement. There may be contact with the extraforaminal left L5 nerve root seen on seires 7 image 29. correlate with symptoms. There is degenerative facet disease at L4/5 and L5/S1, moderate.

OLD MRI---L5/S1---Marked degeneration of the disk, with near complete loss of disk height and mild marginal osteophyte formation. Slight eccentric bulging of disk in the right central region, but no overall spinal canal stenosis. Marginal osteophytes cause moderate left and right neural foraminal narrowing. Mild facet arthrosis.

(  do these two statements mean the same or is the latter considered worsening? "Marked degeneration of the disk, with near complete loss of disk height" and " severe loss of disk height"      why is osteophytes mentioned in old mri but not new mri? does statement in new mri "discogenic changes of the endplate" refer to osteophytes?  the biggest thing i noticed is the new mri mentiones some stenosis and old one talks about narrowing...is that a sign of worsening or progression or is it again, radiologists reporting variations related?   could this be one of the reasons i don't have leg pain " no definate impingement"?   what do they mean by this "There may be contact with the extraforaminal left L5 nerve root seen on seires 7 image 29. correlate with symptoms"?  )

There is fatty infiltration of the filum terminale. However, the conus medullaris terminates at a normal level.  (what da heck does this mean???)

INFO ABOUT MY SYMPTOMS/AGE/PREVIOUS TREATMENTS ETC.. THAT MIGHT BE HELPFUL
-my worse pain is in the morning when i wake up....i take my meds and get ready to feed twins and pain subsides a little...but soon as i begin my daily routine involving lifting, bending etc...by changing diapers, changing clothes, cleaning etc..etc..pain comes back and pretty much stays around til night time and start all over with severe morning pain, stiffness ...no matter how much or little i do the previous day...times of day when pain is really, really severe involves taking kids somewhere...where i am putting twin 2 year olds in and out car..etc....and times when i have to do the difficult cleaning mopping, vacuuming...LATELY... I HAVE BEEN CONCERNED WITH PAIN  NOT ONLY in lower back...but in mid-back, shoulder-neck soreness and hand pain, stiffness and mild swelling.
i have had 3 epidurals and one facet injection with opiates...the next move which is next week dr begins diagnostic medial nerve blocks for rhizotomy.
i'm 37 yrs old and have had lower back pain for about 10 yrs...at first my pain would be after strenous activity (i'm a tennis/golf player)....i would describe it more like discomfort and soreness in the beginning...rather than pain, pain that i deal with 24/7 these days...anyways....each year more discomfort, pain...past couple years since carrying the twins have had persistant severe pain induced with less and less activity.

SORRY THIS IS SOOO LONG..BUT I KNOW THIS INFO IS HELPFUL FOR THE ONES WANTING TO HELP.
THANK YOU VERY, VERY MUCH
ps..i welcome any and all input from patients and i'm interested in expert opinions from radiologists, surgeons, PA's, nurses any medical professional...so if anyone feels this is better off posting somewhere else or in addition to..please let me know!