non union of ulna and carpal bones
hi, i had fractures on both my radius and ulna. Steel plates were placed to stabilize the fracture sites. After three years, the plates were removed. Though, after another 3 years, when I had another x-ray on my arm, it showed that the ulna and the carpal joints did not unite properly (this is perplexing since the original fracture site was on the middle section of both the radius and ulna and not at the distal end). My question is can i still participate in weight lifting activities in the gym? thank you so much
Hello Dear,
Nonunion of ulna  is often associated with pain, stiffness affecting both the ulnohumeral and forearm articulations, and occasionally instability of the ulnohumeral joint.
Infection should also be considered as a cause of nonunion.You should see your orthopedic physician and go in for reconstruction.The primary goal of reconstructive surgery is both, achievement of bony union as well as restoration of a functional range of motion. Weight lifting activities in the gym are not recommended and they might cause futher damage.
Best