Orthopedics Community
scar tissue s/p ACL/auto graft

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

scar tissue s/p ACL/auto graft

Week 4 post-op ACL repair with auto graft, I had onset of pain, edema and decreased range of motion.  My orthopedic surgeon told me the XR are good, but he feels the reversal in my healing is related to scar tissue "behind the knee cap" and therefore requires manipulation under anesthesia.  I just want to get ahead of my PT and walk normally again.  Anyone ever had a manipulation 6 wks out of surgery for the same problem??  Thanks!
Avatar dr m tn
Hi.

Formation of scar tissue is a common ocurrence after ACL repair. And adequate trial of NSAID drugs should be given. In you case, manipulation would suit, as it is 6 weeks post repair.

Regards

DrAbhijeetMD