Orthopedics Community
severe knee pain & numbness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

severe knee pain & numbness

I'm a 44 yr old woman (an American expat in England) , I'm quite active as I walk everywhere/don't drive. For several months I have have severe knee pain in my left knee. It started as an anoyance but has gotten so bad I can't kneel, climb stairs &  have trouble walking.  There is a grinding/crunching noise when I bend my knee. I went to my Dr and he had me get an x-ray.  The results came back today and there was found to be no significant bone or joint damage. I am scheduled to talk to the Dr tomorrow by phone as his appts are booked up.  In the past week, I have also started experiencing numbness/tingling down my left arm and down the left side of my leg (from the hip to knee).  I have days where I can hardly walk and have contemplated getting a cane for support! I have been taking Glucosomine for months and have tried anti-inflammatories (Ibubrofen 400mg) - but have had no change.

Any idea what this might be?  It is painful to walk, sit or lay down because of my knee.
I've no other pain - such as back or neck - no sciatica...

All help is apprecaited.
-7 Comments Post a Comment
Dear,

Apart from glucosamine and NSAID ,to help reduce pain you should protect your knee from trauma.
This can be done with knee padding.
A pad over the kneecap helps to control the symptoms and bursitis.

Rest your knee it reduces the repetitive strain placed on the knee by activity.
You  can use ice on the knee.
Icing the knee reduces swelling and can be used for both acute and chronic knee pain.
Icing 2-3 times a day for 20-30 minutes each
Use an ice bag or a bag of frozen vegetables placed on the knee.
Compress the knee with a knee brace or wrap.
Compression helps reduce swelling and can be used to keep the patella aligned and to keep joint mechanics intact. Eelevate the knee, it helps reduce swelling.
Elevation works with gravity to help fluid that would otherwise accumulate in the knee flow back to the central circulation.
Prop your leg up when you are sitting, or use a recliner, which naturally elevates the legs.
You can consult a physical therapist for for some knee exercises.
Thank you!  I will try the ice - as I've used heat with no success.
There doesn't seem to be any swelling at all - and the pain on the left knee is on the side - along the right hand side of the knee cap.  

I spoke to the Dr this morning and he is sending me to a physiotherapist as he doesn't want to consider surgery - unless it is absolutely necessary.

I'm perplexed as to why this is occurring as I didn't have a fall or any trauma tot he knee.