Orthopedics Community
undisplaced medial tibial plateau fracture and MCL tear Grade 2

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

On May 28 2009 I had a slip on a wet floor and twisted and jolted my left knee, I continued to work and walk on it for the next 4 days untill it got so swollen from above my knee to my ankles and toes. I literally was just dragging my leg behind me. when I saw the dr they put me on crutches and ordered x-rays, they thought I had a menicus tear, in the least.  two days later I went back to my doctor they tried to perform tests on my knee but due to pain could not complete some of them but they were positive I tore my MCL but also thought I had some other damage wasn't sure what, I was extremly swollen. they put me in a hinged knee brace. About 3 weeks went by not much changed but I couldn't straighten my leg so they did a referral to ortho surgeon. I went off crutches after being on them for three weeks and can't walk properly knee still won;t straighten. the orthopeadic surgeon said he thinks I tore my MCL also but fears a signicant mencius tear orders MRI and physio. Update it is now Aug 18th-I had MRI which showed a undisplaced fracture of medial tibial plateau with extensive surrounding bone marrow edema in both medial to a lesser extent lateral tibial plateau, grade 2 tear of MCL, a small bakers cyst, minor proximal patellar tendinosis, mild degenertative change in medial meniscus,and either a prior tear or congential laxity in ACL.I was in hinged knee brace for 6 weeks, but am now out of it, I am going to physio 3 times a week our focus to straighten out knee we can only get it to 30 degrees. I still experience severe swelling into my lower leg and foot, can't walk properly and have pain especially the more I try to walk in a day. I see the surgeon again in 3 weeks Sept 10th if I am not somewhat improving he said he may have to do surgery? My question is why can't I straighten my leg espically since my physio and I have been trying for so long, did the delay in diagnoses do something?(diagnoses was made 6 weeks after injury )Was there something in my MRI that could cause this my physio doesn't think so, he thinks it's stuck but I wonder since I haven't been able to straighten it since the beginning, and if he had to do surgery what would he be doing? How much longer should it be to recover if things are going normally which it seems they aren't.Did I do something wrong? How long normally would it take to recover from somthing like this?
I've been suffering with chronic knee pain and reinjury of my left knee since I dilocated my knee 11 years ago.  I'm not a Doctor but have had lots of experience with meniscus tears and I also couldn't straighten my leg after the initial injury.  They found throught surgery that the meniscus and acl were torn and jamned up in my knee joint. and that was stopping me knee from staightening once the injury was cleaned up I was able to straighten my knee . Hope this helps you.  Your knee is a hinged joint and think of a door hinge when its crooked the door wont open.