Orthopedics Community
what to do?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

what to do?

i punched a wall almost 3 weeks ago then fell on the wrist the next day b4 i went to the drs. i dislocated 2 fingers and my hand was swollen twice its normal size.. i was told i didnt have a fracture that they could see.. i was placed in a slint and told to come back if i have a problem... since than i was diagnosed with marfan syndrom (syndrome) (a connective tissue disorder) o and im on fentanyl patches and lyrica so i "shouldnt" feel any pain..... well its been almost 3 weeks like i said and ive regaind some motion in my hand and wrist but im in horrible pain over all my meds... the splint doesnt seem like its really immobilizing and working (ive had the same type of splints b4)... my mom said i should go back to the drs but i dont see what they could do differently... would they cast me even if there r no visable fratures (eventho i have this disorder (it causes my to hyperextend my joints btw)) please is it worth going back or a waste of money?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

X-rays are important to rule out fractures.

If you have dislocations, tendon or ligament involvement due to the injury splint will be useful for 2-3 weeks in healing with complete immobilization.

Follow up with repeat scans and then physiotherapy. Take NSAIDs intermittently for pain.

Follow up with an orthopedician and do not go to a normal physician.

Take care!