Osteoporosis Community
Can osteoporosis come on so quickly?
About This Community:

Osteoporosis is a condition of low bone density that can progress silently over a long period of time leading to an increased risk of fracturing of bones. Discuss topics including osteopenia, the effects of menopause, low density prevention, symptoms, treatments, and how to deal with fractures.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Can osteoporosis come on so quickly?

I need your expert opinion on something: I'm taking weekly generic Fosamax, daily 1200 calcium, daily 1400 D, and every other week 50,000 D. I hit menoapuse about 4 years ago. I have some pretty bad arthritis in my R hip, but my L is much more normal, though not totally normal. I walk briskly and climb stairs 5 days a week.
>
> 2-3 years ago I had taken the high dose D for 1 year, so my scores momentarily shot way up. Then last year my osteoporosis scores dropped 0.1 or 0.2, ending at: femoral neck -1.3, total hip -1.9, spine -1.4. My new scores--1 year later--are: femoral neck -2.8, total hip -2.0, spine -1.5.
>
> That femoral score seems outrageous to me. Is it possible for a score to drop that much in 1 year? I'd have a hard time believing it if it just dropped to -1.8, let alone -2.8. I don't think they've ever dropped more than 0.4 before. I'm thinking there was some sort of mistake. What do you think?