Osteoporosis Community
Milk acid and Calcium

Osteoporosis is a condition of low bone density that can progress silently over a long period of time leading to an increased risk of fracturing of bones. Discuss topics including osteopenia, the effects of menopause, low density prevention, symptoms, treatments, and how to deal with fractures.

Milk acid and Calcium

Does drinking milk cause calcium to be leeched from my bones? I am very confused by the conflicting information regarding the benefits of milk to prevent osteoporosis.
Hi there!

The theoretical assumptions made by random organizations that animal protein causes acidification of the body’s normal pH causing calcium loss from the bone are baseless. The body pH is more or less maintained under normal circumstances and is not related to bone absorption i.e. bone is not a major pH buffer system in the body as these people tend to believe. Bone absorption-resorption is related to hormonal/ endocrine, metabolic and nutritional status of an individual and dairy products are healthy and recommended for maintaining bone mass.
Hope this information is helpful.

Take care!
Thanks.
While milk certain can provide your body with calcium, the question is - is your system absorbing the calcium.  Unless the other minerals need are also provided,your body may not be getting any benefit from the milk.
SB
Well I read the Starch Solution By Dr. McDougall and The China Study by Dr. Colin Campbell and they did a very large study on dairy and what they did notice is the countries that don't drink dairy products don't get osteoporosis and those that do do get it. Also, these same Dr.'s and other doctors do say that having a plant based diet with no animal protein and no milk products can reverse osteoporosis along with weight bearing exercises without the aid of Fosamax. There are plenty of people on the website that will attest to reversing their osteoporosis this way. Go to www.drmcdougall.com and read his Starch solution and the China Study by Colin Campbell and I think that the one doctor on here that follows the FDA guidelines of drinking lots of milk will be surprised if he read it himself. Also watch Forks over knives it has Dr. Campbell, Dr. Esselstein and several other dr's that show how athrosclerosis can be reversed as well as type II diabetes and high bp and so forth on this diet. I know because my husband had high bp and we both had high cholesterol and it is down to normal now. So, I'm working on my osteoporosis next. It takes years to develop and will take some time to reverese.
mkh9