Osteoporosis Community
Osteoporosis and High HDL
About This Community:

Osteoporosis is a condition of low bone density that can progress silently over a long period of time leading to an increased risk of fracturing of bones. Discuss topics including osteopenia, the effects of menopause, low density prevention, symptoms, treatments, and how to deal with fractures.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Osteoporosis and High HDL

Does anyone in the forum with osteoporosis also have high HDL?  My doctors keep telling me that my HDL is good, but I came across a research study that shows a correlation of high HDL with osteoporosis.  I'm 49, post menopausal, with scores of -3.2 in my spine.  My HDL is 154.  It is an strange that my osteo is so bad - no family history, I do weight bearing exercise (almost my entire life), and I take a host of supplements.  All other numbers and test look great.  No underlying causes.  I've been to two endocrinologists and one of them specialized in osteo.  The only bad number that shows up in my tests is the high HDL, which makes me think the relationship between the two can provide some answers as to why my bone loss is getting worse.  I had a 5% loss from my first scan two years ago to my scan that just came back.  My doctors are pushing meds; saying that if I wait too long, at the rate I'm losing bone, it will be too late to treat.  I'm scared to death to take the meds (got very sick from Fossomax when I tried it), but also scared to death to have a spinal fracture.  Now their pushing relcast.  Thoughts?