Ovarian Cysts Community
25 cm ovarian cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

25 cm ovarian cyst

I'm 22 and I just found out I have a 25 cm cyst on my left ovary. I've been doing some research and I assume I'll be having a laparotomy due to the size. I just wanted some insight on what to prepare for in terms of surgery and recovery. How long is the recovery time? I've read 6 weeks but can it be faster? I've also read a lot about women having their ovaries removed. That is the last thing I want considering how young I am and I want children. What determines the removal of an ovary?
I had an ovarian cyst the size of a baseball.   I would first make sure you have the best specialist available to you.  I was worried about the surgery as well, but I did have the best brought in.  My surgery was actually pretty simple and the ovaries were saved.  If you have the best specialist, they will do everything they can to save the ovary.  That is my suggestion.  An ovary would be removed if the cyst was wound around the ovary.  That's why a specialist is great.  It was fairly easy to have the surgery.  I wouldn't be too worried.  You'll get through it.  I've been through three!
Thanks you the info, I'll keep everything in mind! What about the incision? Where do they usually cut? Will it be verticle or horizontal?
The surgery is usually horizontal and it's small, about 5 inches.  It is above the pubic bone.  It looks like it is big, but the scar fades after awhile.  I don't even notice it at all, 4 years later.  Try not to worry...you'll be fine : )
i am 29 and had a 23x18x17 cyst removed about 3 weeks ago along with my left ovary.  like you i didn't want to have it removed but it was too damaged/squashed by the cyst so it had no choice but to go.

the surgery is pretty simple, i was in and out in less than 1 1/2 hours.  it's the recovery that's hard.  i was bed bound for the first 2 days and was put on morphine and an iv drip.  i lost all appetite but make sure you drink plenty of fluids...i had a catheter in and a few days after i was discharged from hospital i developed a urine infection which didn't help the recovery.

my incision is vertical from the belly button down...it's about 5/6 inches but it's healing pretty well.  i'd say i'm 70% back to normal but my belly is still bruised and swollen.  the doctor has given me 2 month sick leave and i seriously i can't believe i'm saying this, but i can't wait till i get back to work again!  

hope it all goes well for you!  good luck!  xx
Hi 6 weeks to completely back to pre op activities but I was driving in 8 days. I was back to work on day 8 but I have a desk job and work 5 to 6 hour shifts. No lifting laundry baskets for a few weeks or heavy grocery bags but I had groceries delivered. But if you have family members who want to help then ride the pink elephant, and take the help. Maybe the only rest you will ever get.
Sounds like we're in the same boat. I'm having my surgery on friday and they'll be removing my left ovary. My doctor says she'll be making a vertical incision because of the size and thinks the cyst is mucinous. Is it possible to get a horizontal incision despite the size? I was initially told the incision would be horizontal but now they're changing it in case something else needs to be removed. I'm young and petite so I take pride in my body. I'd rather have a scar I can hide than one across my stomach.

Any ideas/tips on what to wear after surgery? I hate those horrible gowns and would rather wear something more comfortable. Would wearing draw string or loose pants irritate the incision?
you will need to have a vertical incision as it's easier for the surgeon to check to see if any other organs has been damaged.  thankfully, in my case it was just the left ovary so nothing else was removed.

it's been 3 weeks since my surgery now and my incision has pretty much healed and it to be honest it doesn't look that bad, better than i expected...it's a litle red but i've started applying cocoa butter on it so hopefully it'll fade!

after surgery, you'll probably have a catheter in, so it's best you stick to the hospital gowns...or bring your own night dress.  but to be honest you'll be so dazed, you won't care anyway!  try to wear loose/high waisted trousers, anything that rest on the incison will hurt, as it will be very bruised.  after my discharge from hospital i stuck to loose/high waisted trousers...and i'm still in them!  my belly is still quite bruised and swollen so not quite back to my skinny jeans yet!  it won't really irritate the incision as you'll still have a dressing on it to protect it.  i actually still have a dressing on mine as it's still bleeding ever so slightly from the bottom of the incision, but the doctor says it's quite normal as it's draining.

anyway, i wish you luck in the surgery tomorrow and i will be thinking of you!  remember to drink lots of water!  have a speedy recovery!  let me know how you get on!

xx
Good luck on surgery tomorrow. 8 months ago I had a 30x25x28 cm tumor removed from my right ovary, I was in the hospital for 5 days and recovery was a little rough because of how large my incision was and the amount of muscle they cut through, but after about 2 weeks i started to feel a little back to normal. Just take it easy and let people help you! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me, I definitely understand what you're going through!! Take care!  
hey, everyone! i just wanted to post an update. i had surgery on friday and everything went well. they removed the cyst along with my right ovary and tube. the cyst as 25x15 and was filled with 3 liters of liquid. it was about 5 lbs. i was on my feet after one night in the hospital and was encouraged to walk around to get my muscles working. i only spent two nights in the hospital. its only been a couple days and im up and around doing everything at turtle speed. so far, recovery isn't too bad, i'm just getting plenty of rest and drinking liquids. i'm 22, 5'0' and 100 lbs so my doctor says my recovery shouldn't be too difficult since i'm young and i didn't have much muscle to cut through.

quick question: i woke up late last night with horrible pain. the muscles in my shoulders, upper back, and neck are incredibly sore. did anyone else experience this?
i'm glad everything went well!  i can't believe you were up and walking after one night!  well done!  just take things easy and don't rush into anything!

i didn't have any of the pains you described, but my doctor did say to me that if i had any pains, especially in the upper body region it could be sign of internal infection and i have to get it checked out asap.  so i advise you to go back to your doctors.  they'll give you antibiotics for it.  but hopefully it's just nothing!  

anyway, wishing you a speedy recovery!  xx

ps.  remember to clean and dress your wound daily!
i asked the doctor about the muscle pain and she said it a side effect from the toradol ive been taking. i switched to vicodin and the pain is gone. thank goodness! ive been wondering how long it took some of you to have a have a bowel movement after surgery? ive been eating solid food for two days and its been three days since the surgery. i know my body is in shock and needs time to restart but when should i expect a bowel movement?
my doctor wouldn't actually discharge me from hospital until i had bowel movements!  they gave me laxatives on day 3 but there wasn't any movements until day 5 because the medication i was taking was making me constipated and gassy.  i sat in the toilet for a hour waiting!  so give it time!  if your belly isn't too sore, give it a little massage.  after that, my bowel movements were back to normal again!  goodluck!  xx
When I had my laparotomy(horizontal) I also wasnt allowed home until I had a bowel movement. Make sure you're eating a high protein, high fiber diet for post op, plenty of water, my doctor also had me on softners(Docusate sodium) to help because the last thing you want to do is to force yourself with having abdominal surgery.
I had approx 25cm ovarian cyst (fluid filled) removed along with my ovary (too damaged). I had to see three gyno's before the third agreed to removed the cyst with laproscopy (key hole surgery). I have two small scars either side of my belly button that are barely noticable and a 3 incision had to be made at the bikini line (to pull the cyst out). There is no scar to be seen at the bikini line so i was very happy with that. I was pain free 10 days after surgery.  Just wanted to mention this for anyone who is told laparotomy is the only option for large fluid filled cysts.