OVARIAN CYSTS
COMMUNITY
5.6 cm cyst: A few questions
by canna25, Jul 15, 2010
What a great community!  Hello everyone!

I was just diagnosed with a 5.6 cm fluid-filled cyst on my right ovary.  I've been having a lot of pelvic pain/discomfort, bloating, cramping, etc for a few months..  I thought it was just residual pain from 3 c-sections.  I have a few questions:

1.  How likely is it that a cyst this size will disappear on its own?
2.  Will BCP help shrink it?
3.  How long is the hospital stay for laporascopic surgery?

Currently, I'm on BCP (started before doc knew there was a cyst to help prevent ovulation (to decrease pain)).  I'm going back in 3.5 weeks for another ultrasound.  At that time, if it has grown, I have the option of surgery.  If it has shrunk, I guess we do nothing and continue to let it shrink.  I'm heading to Europe for 10 days and I'm terrified of it bursting.  Fingers crossed that won't happen.

Thanks in advance for your answers/advice.
Anna
Member Comments (2)
by hopeshell, Jul 15, 2010
Hi there and welcome to the forum!   It is a very positive sign that your cyst is fluid filled.  Malignant cysts/tumors present as complex (with solid parts).  But, any cyst over 5cm does run the risk of rupturing (or becoming complex) if it continues to grow.  There is a good chance it will go away on its own and birth control pills often help it go away.  It sounds like you are on a good treatment plan with the follow-up that is planned.  The laparoscopic surgery recovery time is speedy, with the average hospital stay being from 1-3 days.   Odds are with you that it won't burst.  You are right on the borderline of when doctors start getting concerned about them growing too large.  If I were in your shoes, I would opt for the surgery if you don't see a reduction in size by your next scan.  You just don't want to risk having it rupture or cause infection.  Good luck to you and keep us posted!  Have fun in Europe!!! :)    

Shelly
by canna25, Jul 15, 2010
Thanks, Shelly!!