Ovarian Cysts Community
COMPLEX OVARIAN CYST

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

COMPLEX OVARIAN CYST

After having a pelvic ultrasound, my DR. told me that I have a 2cm complex ovarian cyst on my right ovary. He said that 98% of the time they go away on their own. I am having another ultrasound in 1 month. I am a bit anxious and concerned about this. Has anyine had an experience with this?
Thanks!
Welcome!  It is true that the cysts can resolve and go away, as many here have had that happen.  Also 99% of ovarian cysts are benign.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
Welcome to our group.  We are all hear to listen, learn and help.  Many of us have been where you are.  This site is wonderful and will give you a great deal of comfort and insightful information.  I just posted a response to DnAzMama a few lines down from yours.  It's very applicable to your situation also. If you're anything like me you'll find every question you have answered because someone asked it before you or because you posted and someone helped you out right away.  The only question you won't find an answer to is "Exactly what will happen to me/my cyst?" Time will answer this one...and that's the toughest part! In the meantime stay tuned in to these ladies and we'll all get thru this together!
I had a 3 cm complex cyst a few years ago, and mine did not go away on it's own.  I had it for about 4 months.  I also had a dozen or so uterine fibroids.  I opted for a hysterectomy, and had my left ovary removed with the complex cyst.  I am now having problems with my remaining ovary.  I keep getting hemmorhagic cysts that rupture, and then re-occur.  I am having my right ovary removed on Monday.  I'm just tired of dealing with it.  Since July I have had 4 sonograms 4 cysts, 1 out patient surgery, and it's time to get rid of it.
Complex cysts are different than fluid filled cysts which are normally benign.  Complex cysts are also usually benign but have a great tendency to be cancer than just a regular cyst.  I want to make sure you get your facts straight.  I was diag. with a complex cyst and had surgery the complex cyst was LMP Borderline ovarian cancer.  I was lucky it's rare doesn't usually return and is treated only with surgery (no chemo).  

Here's hoping your's is benign.

Debbie
Oops sorry, meant to say...complex cysts have a GREATER tendancy not great tendancy..
Thanks so much for your responses!
Chelan 2- how long did you wait before you had yours removed? I'm so anxious now I'm ready to yank the ovary out! Also...I think I had a moscarriage a month ago...could that have anything to do with the development of this cyst?
Vaaf-thanks so much for your comments...I really appreciate all of your support & compassion!
Yes, there might be a correlation with a "possible miscarriage".  Ovaries produce hormones, and the development and resolution of cysts on the ovaries has a strong hormonal quotient to that process.  You may very well have some hormonal disruption going on in there, a disruption that could affect cysts as well as menstrual cycles.

Also,  while one month seems like a long time, it is not truly a long time.   So, do not feel that your situation is one that must be addressed "immediately."
Vickie...Thanks so much for your response. As I am 43 years old, I didn't even think I could get pregnant but I had asll the symptoms (sore breasts, period late, nausea) which I pretty much ignored! Then I got my period really late, and 2 weeks later had break through bleeding which was really heavy & clotty. The Dr said he really couldn't tell if I had miscarried or not. I finally got another period today, a month after the break through bleeding. I already knew I had a tiny uturine fibroid so the Dr thought that maybe it grew and that caused the bleeding. It has not grown, but this is how the cyst was discovered.
My Dr. didn't seem to think the cyst caused the break through bleeding! I really appreciate your insights...this whole thing has got me a bit unnerved!!
Those can also be the symptoms of a cyst on the ovary!  I would have thought myself pregnant, what with the extra girth, missed cycle, heavy period, and tender breast, but for the fact I knew that it was simply not possible.  Those darn hormones can go crazy from a cyst on the ovary.
I also have IBS but I can keep it under control (for the most part) by careful diet and fiber supplementation.  Yes, the "gasiness" is similar to  IBS, but since I knew mine was not acting up, I knew it was something different.  I could also feel a strange rolling or floating sensation in my abdomen, as if fluids and gasses were rolling back and forth; it is difficult to describe.  It was this sensation that I once again felt late last year.  This time my ultrasounds found normal, follicular cysts, as well as a uterine polyp that was removed earlier this week.  

One of the problems with ovarian conditions like cysts and tumors is that the benign conditions produce the same symptoms as the malignant conditions.  

The sad thing for me was to realize AFTER the cyst was removed just how many things it had affected, and yet I had rather consistently attributed these symptoms to other conditions.   It was only when everything started hitting at once, and I completely missed a period, that I realized the bigger picture.  

My surgery was scheduled rather quickly; I had less than two full weeks from the time the last test results came in to the doctor's office.  Total time between first ultrasound and the surgery was less than one month. The rush had less to do with the information on the cyst than that we were trying to get the surgery done before Christmas.
Wow...you musy have been so anxious...that's a long time to wait!
Thanks for the reassurance about the size of mine...do you think that even at that size it could cause gassiness & bloating? I've had IBS for over 20 years too! And I have a small (.9 mm) uterine fibroid.
The endo and breakthrough bleeding are closely related - the bleeding is caused by excess estrogen, and endo is worsened by excess estrogen.   Both conditions can be treated by progesterone therapy (unless you have the form of breakthrough bleeding associated with too much progesterone; but tests can tell us this info.)  Cysts affecting the ovaries can affect the production of estrogen as well as progesterone, so I am confused why the doctor believes there is no connection.   I do know that unusual bleeding is most often not considered a symptom of ovarian cancer, so perhaps that is what the doctor is taking into consideration.
Thanks for that info. Not sure why he doesn't think they're connected. I am having another heavy period now...could that mean that the cyst burst? Also...eventhough mu fibroid & cyst are small, can they be causing this bloating & gas?
I'm starting to gross even myself out! Thank God I have an awesome boyfriend !
I thinks it is the hormonal disruption causing the heavy periods, not the rupture of a cyst (but that can happen, however.) I had the same problem and  I'd never had heavy periods, but my cyst certainly caused them.    I also had strange cycles, short one month, then skipping one completely, and those heavy flows...and I thought it was all due to perimenopause!  <sigh>

The intestinal gas was one of my earliest symptoms, so it had to have begun even when my cyst had to be relatively small.   I also had stomach upsets.  It still seems odd to me to think that something so small could cause so many problems.

Worse still was that my cyst was rapidly growing, so things only got worse, much worse, before my surgery.
Because I have had IBS for 20 years, I assumed that's what was causing the gas. The bloat isn't that bad..I think I feel more bloated than I actually look!
How long after the discovery of the cyst did you have surgery?
I'm in Canada and had to wait from February when my 6cm by 7cm complex cyst was diag from an ultrasound until surgery in May. And Yes, I just about went crazy waiting.  Yours is considered small and less likely to be cancerous at that size.  I also had breakthrough bleeding but my dr said it wasn't from the complex cyst.  I was also diag with endometrios at my surgery (didn't have any symptoms that I knew of) but I can't remember if he said the breakthrough bleeding was caused by the endo or not?

Deb
I think I know the rolling sensation you're referring to...kind of like stuff moving around. I have never really been able to link specific foods, etc to IBS. Are there foods I shoukd not be eating in order to decrease the gassiness from the cyst?
As mine is small, do you think waiting a month for another ultrasound is the right thing to do? I have a friend whose dad is a radiologist who said he would take a look at my ultrasound.
I am trying not to get too anxious, but it is a bit unnerving.
I really appreciate your support!
Also...does anyone have info on the relationship between ovarian cancer & the birth control pill?
No, I do not think that waiting one month will be of any consequence.   I can also tell you that the doctors and pathologists reading the images see these things all the time, and they learn what does, and does not, look 'safe.'  If there were any indications of cancer, then  you would already be scheduled for surgery. As for the wait... if you are lucky as some women are, then the cyst will be completely resolved or will be greatly reduced in size.  

Taking birth control pills is shown in studies to REDUCE the chances of having ovca.  Different studies show a different level of effect, however.  Studies done in the USA conclude that one must take The Pill for at least 5 years for it to reduce the chances of ovca.  But studies done in Europe, and I recall specifically two studies done in Italy, concluded that taking The Pill for as few as 3 months has a beneficial effect.  I guess it might matter who paid for the study!

Taking The Pill reduces the number of times the ovary produces an 'egg'- in other words, reduces the number of ovulations.  Conceiving and bearing children has the same effect, and also reduces the chances of having ovca.
I am so grateful to you for all of your wonderful knowledge in this area!
I was actually on the pill for 20 years, but have never had children.
My Dr. basically told me the same thing about seeing these things all day long, and if he were concerned, he would have me in surgery right away. Fortunately, I have a long-standing relationship with him and I do feel that he's a good practitioner.
Thanks so much!
i need some advise sine I too have complex cyst that was found via CT scan, and then never found again after 3 US.  anyway i now have been late with my period for over a month and am scared that it has returned and possibly growing.....

i just had a cat scan and sono on my pelvis area.  found a tumor about the size of a soft ball or grapefruit. bigger than my bladder that included my left ovarie. they said.  i am seeing a doc at a womens center for surgery consult.  i just have a feeling it is cancerous.  i had a hysterectomy when i was 27 and am now 37.  at the time of the hysto, there was a small cyst on my left ovarie and has grown to the size it is today.  i had a mammogram of my breasts today because of the tendernous/hurt and it was read right then and was told that i am to have a sonogram next monday.  could the breast tenderness be related to the abnormal mass?  i am worried. i am blooted and miserable after sex, after walking with low back pain and i have gained unnecessary weight.  the first hint of the signs began about a year ago, maybe even earlier.  but in this small town, i think my doc had overlooked the symptoms several times.  i have been prescribed hydrocodone, ibuprofin...etc for the pain when it first began.  there was two times that i had been diagnosed with PID, hospitalized one time for it.  to say all that, i think the initial beginings of this problem was overlooked and now i think that it may be too late.  in researching this possible cancer, i have every symtom mentioned.  i went through a spell of constant vomiting, this lasted many months.  i have been better in that aspect.  i want to keep this very private from others, so i found you and thought perhaps it could be theraputic.  thank you.
i think when you are dealing with anything gynecologic,  you are dealing with hormones.  if your breast tenderness has anything in common with your pelvis then its probabaly that. i would deff try to get in touch with a speacialist and get to the bottom of this.  is it operable?  find out all your options.   dont say the ca. word until all others are ruled out.  my pain has been on and off.  i get my period and the pain dissappears, i dont get my period and its there.

they did just find abnormal cells in my cervix.  this is brand new.  i have never had an abnormal pap.  they said its low cell dysplasia.   im worried but have issues regarding having it addressed.   wish you the best and try not to be overwhelmed,  i know this is scary
Has anyone ever researched homopathic remedies for complex Cyst?
I just was diagnosed with it, they told me to wait until my next period then in 4-8 weeks they will schedule another ultrasound. What do you think. I feel surgery is not an option and that I might be able to fix this through herbal medications. Has anyone done this.
I have cured myself with Graves Disease(Hyper-Thyroidism)-the doctors immediately wanted me to radiate my thyroid.
Plus I have cured my son of asthma with the proper nutrition. The allergist were not happy with me and threatened my husband that I was going to make my son worse.
So it is hard for me to believe I would need surgery. The cyst does not hurt but I have pain in my groin area(lympnitis) the doctor called it.
What do u think?

momof4
I have recently been suffering from pain in my left side, lower back pain and a bloated abdomen.  Following 2 courses of antibiotics for a urinary tract infection, which did not work, my doctor sent me for a ultrasound.  The ultrasound showed a 'vascular mass' pushing against my bladder which my doctor thought could be a complex ovarian cyst.   I have now been referred to the hospital for a CT scan but am left in pain without knowing how long I need to wait!!  I have just called the hosptial (friday) and have been told there is no one there til monday!!  I really CANNOT carry on not knowing what is inside me and how big it is, I just want it out.  I have since been researching on the internet and am left feeling distraught after reading some can have teeth and hair and grow to 12cm.  PLEASE can someone talk to me who knows what I am going through or has has suffered with the same or who has had surgery to have them removed.  I am going out of my mind with worry!
My doctor has been watching a complex cyst measuring 2.7 x 2.4 x 2.0 cm on my right ovary for one year.  It also has a septation within it measuring 2mm. My doctor has been sending me for ultrasounds every 2- 3 months and also doing the CA-125 tests.  The cyst started at 2.0 x 1.6 x 1.7 cm, plus they thought it was a cluster of cysts then ruled it was a complex with a septation.  My CA-125 tests have been normal (6).  The latest impression was: complex cyst within the right ovary which could reflect adjacent stable cyst versus solitary cyst with prominent septation measuring 2.7 x 2.4 x 2.0 cm, septation measuring 2mm.  Also I have multiple Nabothian cysts on my cervix.  My family doctor and Obgyn. seem to be doing the Watchful waiting game which is driving me crazy.  
I am 46 years old and have three children.  I have had nothing but problems since the day I started my period.  My second child was conceived with a fertility drug clomid, we tried for fours years before trying the drug.  The third child is a miracle as the specialist said I could have no more.  I have had a partial hysterectomy (only removed my uterus 10 years ago).  I also have IBS for the past 8 years had a colonoscopy which they removed 6 little polyps with no problems.  Back about 17 years ago had a cone biopsy on my cervix as they found suspicious cells.  I also have a thyroid problem (low) and really bad arthritis in my spine and both hips. My mother’s family (all the women) have the same problems.  But two of my aunts have died of breast cancer, one of brain cancer and my cousin died at age 47 of colon cancer.  
My question is: Why won't they just remove the cyst they could also take my ovary as I have my left one?  They did say once it was at 5 cm they would remove it.  If my doctors are watching my so closely they obviously suspect something might change????  Has anyone else been in this situation?  I am going to see my OBGYN at the end of January; I am going to ask him to remove the ovary and cyst I am not into waiting to see if something happens.
Thanks for your help!
I would ask your Dr why he is having you tested so often. There is absolutely nothing in what you have said that would warrant the kind of follow up you are having.  It is a teeny, tiny cyst and most Drs wouldn't do anything more than check it every 6 months to a year.  I would not put myself through any kind of surgery, even a lap for such a miniscule cyst.  Usually Drs won't touch a cyst that is less than 5-8 cm for premenapausal women.  It is obviously not cancer or they would have done something by now and the cyst would have gotten much bigger over that kind of time.   It isn't like a cyst can be benign and than turn malignant.  If I were you, I would be asking a lot more questions before I demanded surgery.  I also think a second opinion is an absolute necessity in your case.  I think your Dr is worrying you needlessly.  Just because he is having you checked often doesn't mean he suspects anything, but if he does he should be sharing that info with you.

Oh, you will probably get more responses if you do new posts instead of bringing up old ones.  This one is three years old and most people won't even read, much less answer a post that old.  

Good luck,
Jan
If your cyst is growing I would let the doctor take it out.  I have  a chocolate cyst which is growing and a lap scheduled for Jan. 13th.  I am worried, this is my first surgery.  However, I want the cyst removed. I have never heard of anything that can be done at home.  The tests that doctors give are to help us before things get too bad.
Also, some cysts can rupture and cause infection and pain to other organs.  Hopefully yours will resolve by your next checkup.
The person you are responding to has not been on the forum since last June.  They did one post (this one) and never came back.  The dates of the posts are at the top of each post so it is best to check those dates if you want to get responses to your questions or concerns.
One of my oldest and dearest friends has just found out that she has a 20x4 cm  11x6cm  16.2 cm cyst near her ovary, she has been miserable for a long time but due to lack of finances was unable to do anything about it til now.I am so scared for her she was told it is a complex cyst neoplasm solid component with some seperation. What does all this mean? She can actually feel it in her stomach, by my calculations it would be about the size of a basket ball! she will here from the surgeon tomorrow but in the mean time im completely scared for her.anyone have any thoughts on this?
I have had problems with cysts, bursting cysts, and leaking cysts for about 14 years. About two years ago, I had a cyst burst almost once a month for six months. I have been on about seven different pills, and it almost seems like once my body gets used to a pill it stops being effective.

Four days ago I went to the doctor because I was pretty sure I had a partial burst, but the pain and throbbing did not go away after a few hours like all my other bursts and leaks. When I sent to the doctor, I found out that I have 6-7 cysts on my right side (ranging in size up to a golf ball-sized cyst) and 2-3 smaller ones on my left side. My doctor gave me pain killers, a new pill (which I am not supposed to start until after I finish the pack I am already on), and told me to rest for 24-72 hours. Over 90 hours later, my body feels worse. I feel like I was in a boxing match and someone hit my kidneys and ovaries several times on both sides and then punched my lower back a few times for good measure.  I am going to go get a second opinion tomorrow, but was wondering if anyone else has been through this and has some suggestions. I should also mention that cysts and fibroids runs in my family. Two of my sisters had hysterectomies because of cysts, a collapsed uterus, and fibroids. I am not sure I want to go the hysterectomy route but feel like after 14 years, 7 different pills, countless bursts, and five gynos -- maybe it is time.
I was told this week I have a heamorrhagic  complex ovarian cyst with echogenic material and septa. 20mm in size. I was told 18 months ago I had a cyst that was seen on CT when checking my kidney stones but was not told this would need to be confirmed with pelvic us. I am scared out of my mind. They want to redo US in 3 weeks, my concern is that it may be the same cyst from 18 months ago. How likely is it that this type of cyst is cancer? I am 35.
I was recently diagnosed with a complex ovarian cyst on my right ovary and have been so worried out of my mind.  I don't think I have any of the symptoms.  My doctor sent all my paper work to a gyno who was supposed to call me-that was three weeks ago.  I have a small child and find myself consumed by this worry.  I can't sleep well, can't eat well.  Number one I'm worried it might be cancer and number two that I can't have any more children.  Even though I am blessed with a perfect child I so want to have a big family.  I wish this whole thing could be resolved so I can get on with my life.
I recently went to the doctor because I was diagnosed with an ovarian cyst in September that measured 0.7 cm, when I went in a few days ago for an ultrasound they found that it has grown to 1.66 cm and it is a complex cyst. I have also gained 15 lbs but I have been working out daily and eating healthy. I currently do not have any pain just occasional cramping, today I went to the GYN and she said we should just watch and wait and asked me to come back in 6 months for another ultrasound. I also had some labs drawn and my estrogen is a little low. Anyone had anything like this?
Graves Disease Hyperthyroidism Can you let us know how you  got rid of it.
Right now I'm going through hell with mine and can't figure it out! I' have  bought books and tried other things would really appreciate it!
when i have my gynecologist check up last year of November my doctor found out that I have an ovarian cyst. 1.1 cm.. i really don't know how it came to this.. what this kind if dilemma exist?.. I've never imagine i will be having this kind of experience. my doctor told me to go back for a monthly check up after 6 months but i never tried to go and see her., now i'm planning to have a self examination with my gynecologist... is my cyst already getting bigger because i'm having pain lapses in my right corner of my stomach and i don't know what is this my tummy is getting bigger, and i don't know if this is only eating too much that causes my tummy to get big. i usually going to the bathroom frequently for urinating i'm afraid .. help me.. and also i'm having painful menstruation i use to take painful tablets just to ease the pain of my monthly period where i can not barely take it, i'm having pain.
I am a post-menopausal woman who has a complex cyst on my right ovary and a polyp in my uterus.  My gyro did not mention anything after my pap, but on completion of exam I asked her if it was normal to have a larger tummy after menopause and mentioned my sudden onset of severe dry mouth at night.  She made me take an ultra sound immediately and a blood test before I left.  I was later informed that I have a cyst.  We did another ultrasound three weeks later, and again in three months. It had grown and because she said it looked wierd, sent me to see a women's cancer specialist.  I am going to get a hysterectomy in a few weeks and am very scared, I feel good and have no pain or other symptoms??? I am confused as he gave me choices, but I got the feeling I should have everything removed. Anyone else have the dry mouth problem? Susan
I was having stabbing pains in my lower left abdomen, which is why I went in for tests, but they found the cyst on my right ovary.  So, the pain is opposite of where the cyst is.  Have any of you experienced that?  
Hi Susan I'm new to this, so I've never shared my experiences, but I too have really bad dry mouth at night amoung many other problems I never thought id experience with just a "cyst" I am very confused on my situation right now it all started around 3 years ago and just seems to be getting worse and bothering me a lot. About 3 Years ago i found out about my first cyst(which sometimes i think it has been the only one and just never went away) if that's possible, because I've been to the er for the pain and recently been to er from the constipation, night sweats, back pain, tailbone/low spine pain (narcotics ) don't even stop the pain, when i have my period everytime i feel like i could die of the pain btw I'm only 24 everytime i go to er they say its an ovarian cyst on your left ovary after doing ultrasounds then what confuses me is they always compare the new us to the previous one? Why would they compare the size and shapes as if it were the same cyst they are watching? They've never told me oh your cyst disappeared on its own.. so my thought are always its got to be the same one. i started seeing a new gyno after my previous one retired last time i saw her we talked of checking me for endo but she wanted me to be checked for cervical/ovarian cancer since cancer runs in the family both sides. well i lost my insurance and missed an appointment because i couldn't pay and the next time i went back she was no longer there. my new gyno last year seen me because i was constantly. like every few two to three months i would end up in er they said everytime you have a uti and an ovarian cyst and pid, bacteria vaginosis and an ovarian cyst, one time i believe the said diverticulitis so I'm not too sure on whether or not they really know what's going on, its frustrating and not until last year they noticed a change in appearance and size it got a little bigger and they also said the larger portion should be considered nonfunctional and now in jan this past monday i had an Ct scan for follow up of abdominal. pain causing my most recent er visit on the 18th they did not do an us like normal in er well my doc called with the results i have a left adnexal mass possibly a hemorrhagic cyst it hasn't changed from last presentation although that would be wrong it grew 1.4 Cm from the last time they told me the size and if its a hemorrhagic cyst i thought those were considered functional cysts how can it go from partially not functional to a functional cyst... so tough to understand i also have free pelvic fluid i asdsume is from blood hemorrhage from the cyst. i also have constipation and then i have my unexplained weightloss, weakness, fatigue, and a few other things i know can't possibly be linked i do have swollen lymph nodes in my groin and neck particularly the left like by my collarbone its a little bigger than the rest and then not swollen at all on the other side I've had it for over a month and after my last er visit my doc suspected a viral infection so i had blood tests and stool samples no infections so my doc is sending me to a gastro specialist and a neurologist(for other health problems) i just feel so much pain and feel ill and weak lately i just lost my job they called me monday as i was about to have that ultrasound and fired me because i guess they needed to replace me because i have medical issues right now which is very unfair and i don't have any insurance so i almost feel like some doctor try to rush me in and out without explaining certain things or doing certain tests because they think i won't pay and I'm young so i feel they don't take me seriously sometimes idk what to do anymore my gyno tried me on birth control it didn't help in fact she started me on that then the next time it had grown some. She talked about sugery and then ended up saying it wasn't necessary since the time after that was the time it didn't change or grow.. btw when they said it changed in appearance they said it was bilobed and almost looked like one cyst with a second one growing off the first one they also said there was free pelvic fluid then too.  nothing has been said by my doc about a follow up ct or us. on this but maybe my gyno will contact me and want to do one i had the results of the ct scan sent to her too.. Anyone share any similar stories or any info with me will be very appreciated.. You can also email me ***@**** Thanks, Jessica<3 Hope you all are doing good..
Also i have not been lucky enough to have a Baby yet sometimes i think i just never will.. and i have been having a cough for a very long time and difficulty swallowing even sometimes my own saliva but not throat pain, i have frequent nausea and sometimes at least once a week for a month or two sudden vomit.. and loss of appetite has affected me for a while i just feel so full could be the constant constipation(like 3-5 days a week):(
I have a left adnexal mass (possible hemorrhagic cyst) i sometimes get the stabbing along with throbbing and constant dull ache but its on the same side as mine.. i read hemorrhagic cysts can cause pain because of it bleeding they also said it tends to be opposite the side the cyst is on so maybe the pain can be in either side.. do your hips or tailbone ever hurt like they are being pushed on by it mine do but idk why.. its not big its bigger than 3 cm but less than 5cm.. and they also said they don't know if it was coming off just the ovary or the tube.. i didn't know they can come form from the tube too..