Ovarian Cysts Community
Cysts vs Fibroids - Ultrasound

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Cysts vs Fibroids - Ultrasound

Hi everyone, I have posted on the Ovarian Cancer forum but they directed me over here.

I am 32 years old and in October 2006 during an ultrasound for pregnancy they found what they thought was a 12cm fibroid.  No cause for concern and was not in the way of the delivery etc.

I then fell pregnant again in August 2007 and during all ultrasounds the fibroid remained unsurprisingly.

My ob/gyn said that she suggested I come to her gyn clinic 3 months postnatally to have another look at the fibroid which I did.

I had an ultrasound 2 weeks ago and then saw my doctor about an unrelated matter.  She said she had had the report from the scan back and that I might be called in to see my consultant earlieer than my scheduled appointment (Aug 26th).  Sure enough I got a letter through on Saturday (2nd Aug) saying that there was a possibility that one of my ovaries might be involved and I had been referred for an MRI and a CA125 blood test.

I had a phone call on Monday morning (4th Aug) asking me to go for an MRI that afternoon which I did.  The blood test is scheduled for next Tuesday.

What my question is really, is what might they have seen on the ultrasound that has made them send me for these extra tests?   I had thought that they could easily tell the difference between a fibroid and a cyst / growth on the ovary or is that not the case?

Thanks in advance
This is certainly not an expert opinion, but just wanted to let you know what I've noticed myself.  I saw the ultrasound of my cyst and honestly the picture quality is **** and they really can't see a whole lot.  After the cyst removal I had remembered that I had an MRI last Sept to check for a lower back problem due to tingling/numbness in my left leg (long story).  I pulled out that MRI and low & behold there was the cyst, glaring right at me.  With the MRI it is much easier to see the cyst and where it is in relation to the other organs.  I could definitely see how it was squishing my uterus, bladder and colon.  They may be able to see the density of the cyst better....but not really sure about that.

Take care!  Hopefully others will chime in with better information.
Thanks very much for your reply.

Hopefully then they are just getting a clearer picture of what is going on in there and it is nothing to worry about.
Hi, I think that they actually can,t see wether it is a cyst or fibroid, Im saying this because in the UK (where Im from also) they would usually send you for a CT scan which is a lot cheaper , MRI scans are  more accurate and would be able to pick up the difference more specifically. I hope everything turns out well for you , I know how worried you must feel but most of these things turn out to be benign . Keep us posted .

Angie
Thanks Angie.  Hmm I wonder why they sent me for an MRI rather than a CT then.

It's all very odd, I wish they would explain it a bit more.